About Me

I am a new empty nester, and I love to make cards and ATCs. I am always looking for ways to use the product I have, to learn new techniques and ways to do things, and most of all, to have fun with the creating of my art.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Distress, Distress and More Distress

Well, I actually got some creating done this week... with all the commotion going on, that's a good thing.  This particular card is for a friend of mine, who somehow had the weirdest basic Grey paper.. it's from the Dissidant line, and is called Obscure.  I say weird, only because my friend is in her 70s and that type of paper would never hit her shopping cart... where she got it from, I don't know.  Anyways, my friend had no clue of what to do with the paper.  I took one look at it and had something very similar to this card in my head right away.  I tried to explain it to her, but she just gave me the paper.  I promised her I'd have a card for her by next Tuesday (that's when our stamping group meets again). 

What I did with this card is to cut a 1 3/4  x 12 inch strip from the Obscure paper.  I also cut a 1 3/4 x 21 inch strip from a Magenta paper.  I cut  four pieces of the Obscure into 1 3/4 inch squares, and 5 of the Magenta paper into 1 3/4 inch squares.  With the Magenta squares, I crumpled them, then used Fired Brick Distress Ink on the mountains of the paper.  I then ironed them flat.  For the base cardstock, I took a 6 x 12 inch piece of bright orange cardstock...... for those of you who know me, orange is NOT my favourite colour.  I much prefer a pale peachy colour for my oranges. So what does a girl do when the orange is too bright to match the patterned paper? Distress it!!  I went over the whole 6 x 6 front of the card with Old Paper, Dried Marigold, Worn Lipstick, and Fired Brick Distress inks.  The Fried Brick was just around the edges.  I spaced out the squares so that they would be evenly spaced, and placed them somewhat randomly.  After taping the squares down,  I then took a script stamp, inked it in Broken China Distress Ink, and stamped  over the squares.  I then took the last of the 1 3/4 inch strip of Obscure paper, and stamped two Hero Arts butterflies on it ( from Antique Engravings) in black Versafine ink.  I also stamped and cut out the littlest butterfly from the Antiques Engravings set on the scrap of Magenta paper. I then Stickled  the circles and bodies of the butterfly with Star Dust Stickles.  While that was drying, I took the last of the Magenta paper, and stamped the sentiment (Hero Arts) on the Magenta paper.  I tried to just leave it as it was on the card, but it got lost, so I made a slightly larger frame to put the sentiment on. I just used some text weight paper, as I didn't want cardstock to weigh the paper down.  Once the butterflies were dry, I mounted them on the card, using foam tape.  The smallest butterfly is on a brad, which is attaching the gold flower from Imaginiscence to the cardstock. 

I am really pleased with this card.  I am so far ahead on  birthday cards and such that it was nice to take my time and get the card just right.  I don't think my friend is going to recognize her patterned paper on this card!! Although you can see a skull, face and lips from the paper on the card.


  1. I think this looks lovely, I think the colours you used are great.

  2. what a great story and a FABULOUS card!!!

    thanks BUNCHES for playing along with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

  3. Hi, Karen! Gorgeous card! I love how you used Distress Inks to tone down bright paper and to unify your project. Very creative! Thanks so much for participating in my challenge! :-)

  4. Both cards are wonderful ... Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show for our very first challenge ... I hope to see you again next week :0)


I would LOVE to hear from you.